Peanut Butter Ice Cream Confetti Birthday Cake
Frosting & Cake Recipe via Bake from Scratch
Makes 1 (9 inch) Cake
Ice Cream Layer
Choose any flavor premade ice cream – for the cake pictured my husband chose Turkey Hill Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup ice cream
1. Line a 9 inch round cake pan with plastic wrap
2. Fill half way with softened ice cream
3. Place in freezer overnight
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 ¼ cups granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
3 ½ cups cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup sprinkles
8 large egg white
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter & flour 16x11in sheet pan or line pan with parchment paper
2. In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Beat in extracts
3. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With stand mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until just combined. Add sprinkles.
4. Transfer batter to a large bowl and clean out stand mixer bowl or use a separate bowl and electric hand beater, whisk egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter in thirds. Pour batter into prepared sheet pan.
5. Bake 25-30 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely. Use 9 inch cake pan as guide, cut 2 cake layers from pan.
1. Line a tall-sided 9 inch round springform pan with plastic wrap.
2. Gently place one Confetti Cake layer in prepared pan. Remove prepared ice cream layer from freezer, and place on top of cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze overnight
3. Remove cake from pan. Top with buttercream frosting (recipe below)
4. If desired garnish with chopped peanut butter cups
5. Serve right away or freeze until ready to serve. Use a long knife dipped in hot water to cut into slices
Peanut Butter Buttercream
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
4 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ heavy whipping cream, room temperature
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and peanut butter at medium speed until smooth. Reduce mixer speed to low, gradually add confectioners’ sugar and salt until just combined. Add cream, beating until spreadable consistency. Use immediately.